Our map will help you find nearby destinations, sites based on your interest, or both! Just choose the types of sites you wish to see and the area you wish to explore. Click on a site to learn more.
- 8th Judicial Circuit
- Friends of Lincoln
- Good for Kids
- Guided/Self-Guided Tours
- Historic House
- Historic Site
- Lincoln-Douglas Debate
- Passport Site
- Top Destination
- Underground Railroad
- Visitor Information
- Wayside Exhibit
Metamora Courthouse State Historic Site
113 E Partridge St. Metamora, Illinois 61548
Built in 1845, this building served as the center of county government until the county seat was moved to Eureka in 1896. It is one of the two surviving courthouses on the historic 8th Judicial Circuit traveled by Abraham Lincoln.
The first floor of the two-story brick structure contains a central hall flanked by two exhibit rooms, one displaying artifacts of early local history, the other with exhibits describing the 1850s court system and Lincoln's life on the Eighth Judicial Circuit. On the second floor, the former courtroom and two small chambers are furnished to represent the era during which Lincoln practiced law.
Visitors may take guided tours of the building or view the rooms and exhibits on their own. A ten-minute video history of the building, which includes images and interpretation of the second floor, is available for viewing. The building’s first floor is accessible to persons with disabilities; the second floor is not.
Mount Pulaski Courthouse
113 S. Washington St. Mt. Pulaski, Illinois 62548
Mount Pulaski Courthouse was built in 1848 and served as the Logan County seat of government until 1855. Attorney Abraham Lincoln regularly argued cases in the second-floor courtroom, helping to establish his reputation as both an accomplished practitioner of the law and a gifted speaker. After the county seat was moved to Lincoln in 1855, the former courthouse was used as a city hall, school, and post office. In 1935 the state purchased the building and began efforts to “restore” it to an 1850s appearance.
Museum of the Grand Prairie
950 North Lombard Mahomet, Illinois 61853
The Museum of the Grand Prairie is a museum situated in the Lake of the Woods park district in the village of Mahomet, Illinois. The museum is accredited through the American Alliance of Museums (AAM) and has been since 1972. The museum has a stated mission to collect, preserve and interpret the natural and cultural history of Champaign County and East Central Illinois.
The museum currently has three permanent exhibits. The first, "The Grand Prairie Story", presents the story of the region and the people who have lived here. This exhibit ranges from Native Americans and settlers, to farmers and city folk, to the immigrants who came later along. This exhibit gives a large scale overview of all the different walks of life that have come through the great prairie.
The second permanent exhibit is "Blacksmithing on the Prairie". The blacksmith exhibit is based upon the A.B Chesebro blacksmith shop that was founded in 1896 in Saunemin, Illinois. This family blacksmith shop was shown to the museum staff in 1993. The staff were so into it that they began performing some research into the shop’s history. They collected stories from different relatives and people from around the area and learned that the shop was last owned by A.B.’s son in the 1930s during the Great Depression. The shop was a block and frame shop for wagons at the time. The museum staff proceeded to photograph and categorize all of the objects and the layout of the shop. The museum now is in possession of 5,500 objects from the original shop, some of which can be seen in the exhibit. The shop was recreated partially at the museum and can now be visited to see the different tools and products of the day.
The third permanent exhibit is "Champaign County’s Lincoln", which shows the way the county would have looked when Abraham Lincoln was in the area at the beginning of his political career. The first part of the exhibit is the buggy to show what kind of transportation would have been used at the time. It then progresses through a tavern, photo studio, and an area church with recordings on issues that would have been prevalent at the time.
The Museum was formerly known as The Early American Museum but the name was changed to The Museum of the Grand Prairie.
Old State Capitol State Historic Site
1 N. Old State Capitol Plaza Springfield, Illinois 62701
“A house divided against itself cannot stand...” These immortal words were spoken by Abraham Lincoln in the historic Old State Capitol Hall of Representatives in the turbulent days preceding the Civil War. He tried several hundred cases in the Supreme Court, borrowed books from the state library, and read and swapped stories with other lawyers and politicians in the law library. On May 3 & 4, 1865, Mr. Lincoln’s body lay in state in Representatives Hall as a crowd estimated at 75,000 filed past to pay their last respects.
Postville Courthouse State Historic Site
914 5th St. Lincoln, Illinois 62656
Postville Courthouse is a reproduction of Logan County’s first seat of government. Constructed in 1840, the original building until 1848 was one of the courts in which Abraham Lincoln argued cases while traveling the historic Eighth Judicial Circuit. Long after being converted to residential use, the original courthouse was purchased by Henry Ford and in 1929 moved to his Dearborn, Michigan, Greenfield Village museum. This replica was constructed in 1953 on the original site as part of the city of Lincoln’s centennial celebration.
Vandalia State House State Historic Site
315 W. Gallatin St. Vandalia, Illinois 62471
The Vandalia State House, the fourth Illinois statehouse, served as the capitol from 1836 until 1839 and is the oldest surviving capitol building in the state. The Vandalia State House is significant for its association with Abraham Lincoln, who served in the House of Representatives. In 1974 the State House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library
112 N. 6th St. Springfield, Illinois 62701
The Presidential Library contains an overwhelming treasury of carefully preserved Lincoln documents and artifacts, including more than 12 million items from the Illinois State Historical Library.
Whether learning more about the life and times of President Lincoln or following your own family's genealogical ties to Illinois, the Presidential Library is an amazing resource of information for families, historians and scholars.
Alton Museum of History & Art
2809 College Avenue Alton, IL 62002
Winged monsters, explorers, riverboats and a gentle giant. The Alton Museum of History & Art shows the crossroads of American history right here in Alton. The museum is located in the historic Loomis Hall across from the Wadlow statue. Loomis Hall is the oldest building in the state of Illinois continuously utilized for education. One of the most popular rooms, the Wadlow Room, pays tribute to Alton's Gentle Giant" and the World's Tallest Man. The Pioneer Room explores the history of Alton from the Lewis & Clark Expedition to the Civil War with exhibits on Elijah Lovejoy, the Lincoln-Douglas Debates and the "Alton Route" on the Underground Railroad. Allow 45 to 60 minutes to explore this museum.
100 SE Race St. Atlanta, Illinois 61723
Exhibits focused on Abraham Lincoln, Route 66, and other aspects of Atlanta's history are featured. The Museum's Local History Resource Center provides extensive genealogy materials accessible to the public. Housed in a beautifully restored 1867 building, the Atlanta Museum presents both permanent and new, rotating exhibits.
Champaign County History Museum
102 East University Avenue Champaign, Illinois 61820
The Champaign County History Museum is a 501(c)(3) organization and exists to “collect and preserve artifacts relating to the history of Champaign County, Illinois, and, by using those artifacts in formal and informal educational activities, to interpret that history to the public.” The Museum was founded in 1972 and opened for exhibition in 1974. The Museum’s original home was the Wilber Mansion located at 907 West University Avenue. The Wilber Mansion was sold in 1997 with proceeds being used to acquire the Museum’s current home at 102 East University Avenue. The current building, named the Cattle Bank, is Champaign County’s oldest documented commercial structure, having been constructed in 1857.
Our museum is a great jumping-off point for exploring our county. Hours: Monday & Tuesday - Closed, Wednesday-Friday & Sunday - 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM, Saturday - 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM